View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 12:24 AM
Spawn

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'm really not. Its just an internet discussion. In a lockout year. With next to nothing at all to talk about on a hockeyboard.

At what point will the kids be expected to win hockey games? At either level.
On one hand I understand your concern. OKC should be winning games. They should be the best team in the league and they aren't. The kids are a reason for that. On the other hand, I can't help but feel like you are expecting perhaps too much. Schultz and Eberle are 1, 2 in league scoring and RNH is 9th. This is a team that has scored 38 goals this year. Schultz, Eberle, RNH and Hall have scored 21 of those goals. That is 55% of the goals this team is scoring from 4 players. What concerns me with OKC isn't those four. What concerns me this year, and what concerned me last year is that none of the other forward prospects on this team seem to be able to have any offensive success once they get to the next level.

Hartikainen seems to be doing well, but other than that it is a disturbing lack of success for a lot of players who were expected to put up at least some offensive numbers at the next level.

Pitlick went from a PPG+ player in the WHL to 23 points in 60 odd games last year and now just 2 assists in 12 games this year.

Hamilton has had an even more drastic decline in offensive production transitioning to the pro level.

Lander went from being a respectable producer in the SEL to absolutely zero in the AHL this year.

Ryan Martindale was a top 15 point producer in the OHL, couldn't even crack the AHL team last year and this year can hardly stay in the lineup.

Vande Velde was a solid scorer in college, is nothing more than a 4th liner in the AHL.

Hell, Paajarvi who I have made no bones about being a huge fan of in the past has absolutely stagnated.

For all the praise that Nelson received last year as an AHL coach, there has been shockingly little development in terms of offense from all but one of the Oilers second tier forward prospect group. So either Nelson does not know how to develop offensive talent, or the Oilers still suck at drafting.