View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 01:48 AM
Baggers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
Just like the players aren't necessarily unified, neither are the owners.

It's been mentioned (although not for a while) that some owners, like Dolan, hate the lockout and want the season on - probably partially because he's got a shot at winning with the Rangers.

But the core group of guys like Snider and Jeremy Jacobs are in tight with Bettman and they'll back his play to the end.

It would be nice to know how the owners are discussing things like max contracts and UFA status, etc, because teams like Philly and NYR are always going to throw silly money.

You can't just say "owners that lose money are bad businessmen". They are dealing with guaranteed contracts and a salary cap floor they need to reach, regardless of their own team attendance, revenue, etc.

When you get GMs like Tallon driving dump trucks of money on mediocre players just to reach the cap floor, it seems like a broken model to me.
I would've figured Snider and Jacobs would want the lockout over (like the Leafs and Dolan) because they're among the few teams that are profitable. It's the other teams that are losing less money not having a season than they would if the season was played that are hard lining this one (I honestly don't know enough about this, so I could be wrong).