View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 12:54 AM
The Beyonder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BudMovin View Post
What is wrong with the math? So I did a little rounding and used feet and inches instead of just inches. You said height didn't factor into chances of making it into the NHL. I merely provided statistics to show you that it does play a bigger role than you think. If it didn't most of the D would be under 6 feet tall, since most of the population is. It is not strength, it's the reach that makes height so important. Tyler Myers is the second tallest guy in the league but I bet his 5-5 teammate Gerbe crushes him in the weight room and also would win a corner battle. Also, I said Reilly will be a stud and the height will not hinder him too much. Yes people grow after they turn 18. I went from 5-7 to 6 feet in college (probably a statistical outlier).
Even though I agree that height factors into your chances of making it into the league, just primarily based on common sense, I'd have to agree with Whydidijoin. You're statistics makes assumptions and a sweeping statement without substantial information.

The biggest assumption is that 26% of a certain only make it in the league when 84% of the male population is of that height. The thing is, you have no idea what percent of that 84% actually play hockey nor what percentage of the remaining 8%(for people over 6 feet if distribution is normal) actually play hockey.

Also it takes height as the only arbitrary value for making it as a hockey player without considerations of other factors that could contribute to, or compound, the discrepancy.

The Beyonder is offline   Reply With Quote