View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 01:19 AM
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Let's not put words into some fans mouths here. Toffoli was clearly, CLEARLY the most talented player on those 67's teams in terms of skill.

If anything, his time here in Ottawa showed that. In fact, it was his biggest criticism: "kid has every tool, but no toolbox". His problem in a lot of Ottawa fans eyes isn't below his neck, it's above it.

If Toffoli had played his junior hockey elsewhere, I think a lot of Sens fans would be a lot more receptive to OP's proposed deal. With him being a 67 however, a lot of us got a much better sneak-peak at him than most other fans, and the character issue was fairly obvious. That's not to say it's going to keep Toffoli from the NHL, as there are lots of skilled NHLers who maybe didn't go 100% during junior because their skill level allowed them to coast from time to time... but I think if the price to find out if Toffoli can find that extra gear is Mark Stone, most sens fans will politely decline.

It's not that most of us don't want Toffoli (because trust me, there's nothing this city loves more than the potential of having ex-67's on the Senators - just look at the love Zenon Konopka got last season) it's that we don't want him that badly.
Exactly.

As I said earlier, I've watched Toffoli play easily more than 100 times in my life. He is one of the most talented snipers in the history of one of the CHL's most legendary franchises, but he's incredibly frustrating.

Too often he'll refuse to backcheck, refuse to go the extra mile, shy away from a hit in the corner (the Toffoli Spin Off Move) and it's just something I haven't seen from Mark Stone. Both have knocks on their speed (if Toffoli doesn't he should have it), but from what I've seen Stone has the potential to be a more complete player than Tyler Toffoli.

It's certainly within the realm of possibility that Stone is one day a third liner in the NHL, but Toffoli will either boom or bust, simple as that.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote