View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Yep. It's easy to see why the Pens liked him so much - he's a fast, fluid skater, great in transition, and has a very high offensive IQ.

But...he needs a lot of work. He's not strong or strong on his skates, he takes inefficient checking angles, and he wilted under hard forechecking pressure. A lot of that can be fixed with good coaching though, and he's smart enough to figure the rest out on his own.

Still, he's a project.
Agree and disagree on some points. I didn't see the last period, so perhaps I missed something, but...

I never saw him take any bad angles to the puck carrier. He kept his gaps, had a good stick and was angling his assignments outside most of the time. He even stripped Yakupov of the puck twice 1-1 in space.

DP won a majority of his 1-1 battles along the board and quickly moved the puck out of the zone. I never saw him wilt under any forechecking pressure, unless Russia had a heavy FC in the third and he wilted then, but I doubt that being up by a few goals.

I get where the comment is coming about not being strong on his skates because of his two glaring mistakes that lead to goals, but that should come as he matures.

He was at fault for two of the three goals. On the second goal, his pivot got caught chasing the post and didn't pick up the late man... No idea what the guy was thinking. That goal was all on the pivot.

On the third goal he bounced off his man and lost his balance. As was the case throughout the game, the W fwds didn't pick up their assignments and the goal was scored in the slot off the shot from his assignment.

The fourth goal was definitely on him, but Yakupov caught him from behind with a great burst of speed to force the turnover. Credit Yakupov with a really nice play. That was the only turnover he had in the first two periods and before that he did a fantastic job of managing the puck, unlike Rielly who was a turnover machine.

I thought he easily outplayed Rielly, who had a poor game. The blueliners were left out to dry all game by the W fwds who did a piss poor job of backchecking, picking up their assignments and generating pressure.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 11-16-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote