View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Dan-o16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYIschremp44 View Post
Thank you! much appreciated...I would love to see that design come to life in fabric, i think itd look real sharp
It's a nice job by you, but I think the Brooklyn baseball concept is just way over. My Dad was a Brooklyn Dodgers fan, and I grew up with stories about Roy Campanella and Carl Furillo (my Dad's favorite players), as well as Jackie and The Duke. But the Dodgers left 55 years ago. The script 'Brooklyn' became the script 'Los Angeles'. It wasn't as if that look ended with Brooklyn. The Dodgers after they left were better than the Dodgers before they left. That style is, now, more Los Angeles than it is Brooklyn. Mets fans got understandably annoyed when Wilpon seemed to express his Dodgers love more than his Mets love in CitiField.

The old Dodgers B expresses Brooklyn pride in opposition to "The City", i.e. Manhattan. But the Islanders don't need that symbol to express their pride in opposition to "The City", i.e. the Ranger$. Our existing symbol already expresses it.

BTW, note that The Nets did not go after that look. They were smarter than that. They asked themselves what was the coolest jersey in sport that had no basketball equivalent. Their answer was the correct one: The Raiders.

The Islanders, unlike the Nets, need to stress continuity with their past as opposed to a break from it. If you need a third, go retro Islanders, not retro someone else.

Just my opinion.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote