View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 11:05 AM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

vCash: 500
A comparison like this is hard to make given the varying degree of talent on each team, in each league.

This thread has also crossed into a CIS/NCAA comparison.

I believe the OUA CIS teams are a bit weaker overall because of the OUA schools reluctance to offer AFAs for Hockey athletes, something that CW and AUS do without hesitation. This reduces the number of CHL over-age'ers from considering OUA teams (my belief, not a known fact)

I would put my money on the CIS team to win a game or series against a CHL team. This is just a general observation - would STU win over Kitchener? - probably not. Would UNB? probably. Top CIS teams are CHL heavy and with 4 days/week to practice - you get a better cohesive team (not to mention the age difference 18-19 vs 23-24).
I would put my money on the NCAA team in a CIS/NCAA game. The NCAA team have similar ages to the CHL team, but play a different game compared to CIS and CHL (more speed, less hitting and size)

I'm a UNB fan, and they have been used in other comments posted here. UNB has a 23 player roster with an average age of 23.5. 22 of them are from the CHL and one from the NCAA (Salituro). They have 8 players who have been drafted (Fullerton, Swan, Wudrick, Wright, Fillier, LaCosta, Shutron and Denny). One player has played in the NHL (LaCosta) and four in the AHL (LaCosta, Kidd, Denny and Desnoyers) and three others with pro experience (Wright, Lynes and Wudrick). 12 of them are former CHL Captains (Swan, Braes, MacNeil, Pridham, Wright, Critchlow, Robertson, Carroll, Fillier, Shutron, Culligan and Nesbitt). So, a team like this would fare pretty well against an average to lower CHL team. The top-end talent is not as good as a CHL team (who might have a 1st round pick), but the bottom half is a lot better. This is also why UNB has fared well against NCAA teams.

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote