View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 11:48 AM
Digger12
Gold Fever

vCash: 500
Was at the game last night. Had an awesome time, saw Tambellini and Prendergast there among others.

My impression of Yakupov? I honestly didn't think he had a very good game. He was average at best.

I have to wonder if 6 straight games of the opposition continually paying special attention to him and engaging him physically at every opportunity wore him down. I've seen him play with a lot more intensity than what he showed in these past 2 WHL games. I really didn't see a lot of fight in him.

Don't get me wrong, I love his talent level and truly hope that he turns out well for us...but I'd be lying if I said that he didn't leave me underwhelmed, especially with him being a 1st overall pick.

Morgan Reilly, on the other hand, was very impressive. He is a tremendous skater and very dangerous in the offensive zone, though I predict he'll have an adjustment period playing defense at the NHL level. He doesn't have much of a physical game that I could see.

As others have stated, Dumba was bad...a turnover machine and I never once saw the physicality he's supposedly known for. He certainly didn't live up to the PK Subban comparisons. He looked very nervous.

Griffin Reinhart was solid, nothing great but definitely an intimidating presence. IMO team WHL was really missing Ryan Murray on the back end.

The other thing that was interesting to watch was the contrast in how the two teams did their pregame warmups. While the Russians were constantly doing 2 on 1 and 3 on 2 drills with lots of one-touch passing and flow, the WHL side was mainly just guys skating around on their own, taking random shots at the net...they weren't nearly as organized. Interesting to note, during the pregame warmup the WHLers came out wearing their individual team jerseys, not the 'Team WHL' ones.

Overall though, I had a great time. Like I said earlier, first time in over 20 years that I was able to get to a live game. I hope it won't be another 20 years before the next one.

Digger12 is online now   Reply With Quote