View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 11:49 AM
BringBackStevens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
Because the NHL is actually 30 different companies where the top few make a majority of the profits. According to Forbes, the Maple Leafs, Canucks, Oilers, Rangers and Canadiens actually had operating profits (EBIT) of $212M. The other 25 teams lost $86M. So when you combine them all together the league acutally made 126M in profits, which may be a record, but put into context isn't really a pretty picture.

I will admit that a team like the Flyers isn't really there to make a profit, but to simply break even or possibly (I say possibly because I don't have access to their books) be used as a tax shelter for profits. But not every team is like that.
If the league as a whole is a plus, then that tells me the main issue isn't league expenses (player salaries) but 1) bad markets and 2) not enough revenue sharing. If you take salaries down across the board the gaps between those top 5 teams you mentioned and the rest is going to be exactly the same

Also, those Forbes numbers need to be taken with a gigantic graint of salt. I'm sure some teams are hurting, but like you said theres a lot more to it than the numbers you are going to see there for some teams (Flyers)