View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Warm Cookies
Re-sign Kunitz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallatin View Post
When looking at prospect evaluation & development opinions on this Board, few can compare with Jiggyfly and Jacob IMO. Neither of them are worried about DP, the pick or the development. Both thought he played fine given the situation last night.
Both fine posters, but the argument to authority is goofy (not to mention unsupported here - what are you basing their prospect track record on, exactly?). We're still waiting to rue the day we let Nick Johnson go on waivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I never saw him take any bad angles to the puck carrier. He kept his gaps, had a good stick and was angling his assignments outside most of the time. He even stripped Yakupov of the puck twice 1-1 in space.
He did have a good stick for the most part, but I thought he put himself in poor checking position pretty regularly. That play where he got knocked down by Kapustin leading to a goal against left me wondering how he thought he'd have enough leverage to accomplish anything.

Quote:
DP won a majority of his 1-1 battles along the board and quickly moved the puck out of the zone. I never saw him wilt under any forechecking pressure, unless Russia had a heavy FC in the third and he wilted then, but I doubt that being up by a few goals.
I just disagree here. Pouliot looked to be pushed around quite a bit in the corners, and lost more than he won in the 1-on-1s.

Quote:
He was at fault for two of the three goals. On the second goal, his pivot got caught chasing the post and didn't pick up the late man... No idea what the guy was thinking. That goal was all on the pivot.
Sure, the goal-scorer came in unchecked, but Rielly or Pouliot could've stepped up. Instead they stood there like deer in headlights (albeit they were left flatfooted).

Quote:
On the third goal he bounced off his man and lost his balance. As was the case throughout the game, the W fwds didn't pick up their assignments and the goal was scored in the slot off the shot from his assignment.
But there's really no reason for him to be bouncing off his man. He's a weaker guy who took a bad angle to make awkward contact in a dangerous part of the ice, and it led to the goal against.

Quote:
The fourth goal was definitely on him, but Yakupov caught him from behind with a great burst of speed to force the turnover. Credit Yakupov with a really nice play. That was the only turnover he had in the first two periods and before that he did a fantastic job of managing the puck, unlike Rielly who was a turnover machine.
Ehh, we're not on the same page here. At all.

Pouliot wasn't blindly sending pucks up the middle like Rielly, but his lack of urgency and strength in his own end made him give up the puck more than a few times.

Quote:
I thought he easily outplayed Rielly, who had a poor game. The blueliners were left out to dry all game by the W fwds who did a piss poor job of backchecking, picking up their assignments and generating pressure.
Rielly was a lot more risk/reward, and he got burned by it last night. You could see the dynamism he brings even in a bad game though, ie that double toe-drag.

Warm Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote