View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 02:01 PM
ponder

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Could someone with a twitter-account ask Button that what Barkov would have to do in order to be drafted first overall? Have over 2 ppg? Add that much coveted explosiveness to his game? Change nationality to Canadian?
I don't think his nationality is a strike against him. The SM-liiga is a solid league, but the NHL pays WAY better and is just a much bigger deal, teams are not scared at all that a Finn could develop into a good player and still not come over. It's really only a concern with Russians, since the KHL is a pretty strong competitor, and since the culture difference is greater between North America and Russia than it is between North America and Finland or Sweden.

People often ask "what does so and so have to do to be drafted first overall," but I think it's more about tools/ability. I think Barkov will certainly get some consideration at 1st overall, along with a good number of other prospects, but I don't see him going above MacKinnon. MacKinnon is just so much more dynamic, so explosive and dangerous, while also playing a pretty complete game. MacKinnon's upside just seems higher to me. Love them both, though.