View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 02:07 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Yeah I think Maatta is the better prospect. DP definitely has him on offensive potential but Maatta is much more well rounded and has a seriously underrated offensive game. He's big, smart and to me looks similar to Ryan Suter at the same age when he was at Wisconsin. He's not the flashy guy that's going to thread a pass over two lines to spring a breakaway or dance from end to end but he's the steady, reliable guy that can keep up with and help create space for our other talented defensemen. He's the ideal partner for Morrow or Letang down the line because of his calming presence and the support he can give at both ends of the ice.

For a board that loves Despres so much, it's a little weird that such a similar prospect doesn't get the same praise.

After Morrow and Despres, Maatta's our third best prospect. That's a claim I'm comfortable making even though I understand that it's not the consensus.
Maatta is cleaning up his game, but his breakouts sometimes put the puck in danger more than I like to see. He is holding the point better this year; not pushing the blueline like he used to do, which I hated. His skating style is also growing on me.

I'm liking Maatta more each time I watch him play, but his ceiling isn't close to DP's I feel.

I put the top three as Morrow, DP and Harrington. I could change my mind if Despres smartens up a little and I see more of Dumoulin.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote