View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Rhiessan71
Just a Fool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazerbullet View Post
If you factor in the era they played you can have them in the top 3.
And according to you, how do we do that exactly?

Quote:
First of all.. you are comparing against the strongest competition ever. Nobody in the 50s-60s faced similar competition also. And frankly Bourque and Coffey were not winning Norrises by the time Nieds hit his prime.
Yeah, because they were retired or about to.

Quote:
Well... in the old days Euros and Americans were also a non-factor.
Which is why I only listed Canadians first.

Quote:
I guess he would be 3rd best after Orr and Park. And would have grabbed some Norris trophies without them.
Over Potvin, Robinson and Slaming eh? What about Savard or Lapointe?

Quote:
And of course he would look bad in the 80s. Also those guys in the 50-60s wouldn't look as mighty.
As mighty maybe but that a Scott Niedermayer would stand out more in the 80's than Harvey or Kelly would? Sorry, not with ya on that one.

Quote:
Yes, Scott Niedermayer was a Jay Bouwmeester who happened to play on the right teams and won everything you can. Lucky version of Bouwmeester so to speak. Now I have seen the light. Thank you.

You pretty much confirmed what I meant that Niedermayer is getting beat down.
Hey, Scott was a very, very good skater, it's one of the main things he was known for and what his whole game was based on.
Without that speed, what kind of game could he play? What other superior talent of his is going to make him stand out?
His shot was average, his passing was good but not great, his vision wasn't good enough to really stand out imo. What kind of defense does he play without that speed?
Sorry, IMO, without his great speed, he's an average first pairing D-man. His remaining tools simply don't stand out enough.

I mean Harvey wasn't that fast but he could still control the puck and pace of a game, he was still one of the best positional D-men in history. He wrote the book on it, that d-men to this very day are taught by. Harvey was a fantastic passer and had great vision.

Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote