View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 02:31 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Maatta is cleaning up his game, but his breakouts sometimes put the puck in danger more than I like to see. He is holding the point better this year; not pushing the blueline like he used to do, which I hated. His skating style is also growing on me.

I'm liking Maatta more each time I watch him play, but his ceiling isn't close to DP's I feel.

I put the top three as Morrow, DP and Harrington. I could change my mind if Despres smartens up a little and I see more of Dumoulin.
How ridiculous is it that we have 6 defensemen in our top 6 prospects. That doesn't seem smart to me.

And yeah it's debateable with Bennett...my point just sounds better if I slot him at #7 for right now.

I guess I don't see the high ceiling with DP. I see a Goligoski type future for him as probably the #4 guy on the second pairing who plays on the top PP unit. I think it's unlikely that he develops into a top pairing guy...especially with guys like Letang and Morrow in the organization who fill a similar role but with an established physical game and better shot.

And I'm not trying to **** on Pouliot as a prospect. He's a great guy to have in our system but he has some hurdles to overcome before he even becomes an NHLer, let alone realize his super high ceiling that I'm not convinced he has.

I said it at right after the draft but our two first round picks reeked of our organization getting a little too cute. Drafting defensemen from the same teams as our top two defensemen picks from the year before just seems to easy. It's something dumb I'd do in EHM.

It's too bad the Staal trade (which i agree wasn't made with any player in mind, DP was just their BPA) happened minutes before the Pouliot pick because I guarantee no one on these boards would even have him on our radar. I talked to a handful of scouts about Pouliot after the first round (perks of knowing where the NHL HQ hotel is during the draft...just find a few of the local bars and you'll meet some of the heavyweights) and not only did most of them have Pouliot as a late first rounder to and early second rounder but they called the Pens 8th overall pick the worst of the first round. No joke, other team's scouts were laughing at the pick, so for as much as we trust the Pens professionals and their opinion, I trust other team's scouts as well and they hated the pick.

But that's the thing, there's no consensus on prospects and since they are drafted so young a lot can change between draft day and when they finally crack a lineup.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote