View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 03:48 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Guy View Post
This is business, if the PA chooses to act ******** over the first offer it's their problem. The NHL offered 57/43 and the middle ground is 50/50: thinking of it as a draconian offer is short sighted. A first offer is not the end game but it does indicate where the end game should be.

The two sides had a marathon of talks and nothing came of it. We've heard that the PA is still insisting on delinked proposals which are a no go and has not made any offers on contractual rights: instead they simply say no to what the NHL offers. The NHL feels the talks are going nowhere and allowing Fehr to aggravate them (because that is his strategy) is no a recipe for success.

The NHL has not attacked Fehr. Bill Daly has said that he feels this is going nowhere and has attributed that to Fehr not making any serious proposals and simply saying no to what the NHL offers. All the stuff about "Fehr is not conveying the proposals to the players" was "off the record": someone told someone else that's what they thought and a journalist ran the story.
There's 2 sides to everything though, you say the PA can choose to act ******** over the first offer. I can say the NHL is choosing to act ******** over the PA not liking their offers. Hasn't the NHL mandated that they go off of their offers, and also has said there is no room for serious negotiating on any of their contract stipulations? To me, that seems ridiculous.

A lot of people say on here "The previous CBA Doesn't matter, its a different financial situation, etc etc" as a reasoning for the NHL's offers. Two can play that game, right? The previous CBA has nothing to do with the new CBA, so de-linked offers are just as legitimate than linked offers going by that line of reasoning everyone here chooses to use.

Personally, I'm just not a fan of the demonization of the NHLPA here. If you actually want my real thought (not that it matters) I believe the NHLPA will ultimately loose out, because money is power, and the owners have the most power IMO.

If I had a carte blanche on the matter I'd personally do a 50-50 split, which is fair, all previous contracts honoured, and no changes to the current contract structure.

Maybe asking for 1 major concession per CBA is better than asking for 5.