Thread: Proposal: Van - nj
View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 03:53 PM
blankall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co Ho View Post
So Luongo's contract is horrible, but Kovalchuk's is awesome?
I definitely think Kovalchuk is worth more than Schneider and Kassian, but factoring in contract value and potential, it is very close. And then the difference between Kesler and Zajac make up for that difference in value, so yes, this deal is decent in terms of value for both sides.
If you want to ridicule my post, at least address my points instead of posting garbage that doesn't progress this thread at all.
Kovalchuk is only 29. His "retirement" years start at 36. It's likely he may decline for the last 2 years before this. However, a declining Kovalchuk is still likely to put up 50-65 points a year. It's not the end of the world to pay too much for a player of that calibre. Especially if you've already received 4-5 years of PPG play.

Goalies, on the other hand, who decline are a total dead weight to their team. You cannot have a starting goalie who is not playing at their peak. If he lets in 1 more goal a night on 30 shots, you are sunk. Luongo is 33 now and his retirement years do not start unti 39.

Another issue is that Kovalchuk is Russian. The KHL will match or exceed his NHL salary at anytime, and he is likely to go there if things go sour here. Luongo is not Russian.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote