View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 04:01 PM
  #372
Martini*
Gods Team
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
I guess it doesn't matter to you that you have no idea what you're talking about, does it? You're going to continue to spew hot air, because thats what you want to believe.
What dont I know about? The Marlins wanted to get out of those contracts, AA bit and took them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
In your opinion? Nicolino is the more polished, both Syndergaard and Sanchez have higher ceilings. Anyone with a clue about the Jays farm system will tell you that.
Thats speculative at best. Looking at their statistics suggests that Nicolino is the better prospect with an ungodly walk per nine inning ratio then the two other pitchers, is left handed, and has been compared to Tom Glavine. Now, I might know a little about baseball, but Tom Glavine was a pretty good pitcher. Can the other two be better? Who knows, but I would take a pitcher compared to Tom Glavine over prospective power pitchers any day of the week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
You say nobody knows what will happen, them proceed to tell me what will happen? These contracts will come back to bite the Jays, apparently? Wouldn't that fall in line with 'nobody knows what will happen'?
Considering the past's of those said players? Reyes is injury prone, and Burh has over a decade of 200+ innings on his arm. Indeed, nobody knows what will happen, but banking on young, cheap players while in last place is a much better then banking on players who have a history of injury or have been in the fore front to the point that health should be a concern as in Burh while in last place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Buehrle will get homesick being away from the mid-west? Then why did he sign in Miami?
He wasnt far from his mid west home while in Florida.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Treasure trove of talent?
Three of the top ten prospects in the Jays farm system isnt a treasue trove of talent considering just how great the Jays farm system was?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Talent is irrelevant? In a trade? Are you kidding me? What wins games, talent or owners bank account balance?
Lorias bottom line was the most important reason for this trade. Nothing more. Nothing less. He accomplished what he needed to do with nothing of what little fanbase he has left to judge him. It obviously doesnt bother him, but making this trade was something he had to do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
How often do teams win based on how much money the owner saved?
I dont think even Loria wants to win anymore and instead just wants to piss off as many people as he can.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Prospects are prospects for a reason. They're a possibility. Reyes already is an allstar shortstop who is 1 year removed from a batting title and a guy who can steal 40 bases. Buehrle already is a top end starter, not an ace, but top end. Johnson already is a top end starter, not a prospect.
And all are question marks. Reyes has never played 162 games in a year, JJ is as injured as they come, and Burh has some miles on his arm. I have stated that this trade is excellent for the Jays, it makes a mediocre team better if everything works out. The problem is that with all the question marks about the players aquired makes it more interesting to watch it play out then it does actually penciling in a mediocre team as one of the front runners of a division that includes the Yankees, Red Sox, and Rays, and an up an coming team in the O's who won 90 games last year. Throw in Melky, who has a couple issues and I honestly dont see the logic in taking gambles on the type of talent aquired instead of going out and getting more reliable talent with that farm system the Jays have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
IF, every prospect pans out to their full potential, it can certainly be debated... But right now, the Jays win hands down. No question, its not even close.
On paper? Even then you look at the past histories of those players with the exception of Burh who is as reliable as they get and you still have to question if this was the right move for a team that has had issues with injury already. Can things change? Who knows, but relying on the hope that players who are often injured to actually stay healthy on a team that has a past of being a medical ward isnt somehting I would want for any team.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
From a business perspective, the Marlins did exactly what they wanted to do, yes... But guess what? Rogers is a multi-billion dollar company that was prepared to open their cheque book and spend some money to compete in the east, and they did that.
Which means that they are finally learning what it takes to compete in the east, good for them. Will it stop the other teams in the east from spending, obviously not. The Jays did good, but still have to compete with the Yankees and Red Sox who will spend as much as they want without fear of what the Jays have done. This move, as big as it was for a team like the Jays, still isnt even a blip on the radar of the proven teams of the east. Will it help? Sure, but until the Jays prove themselves that they are committed to actually putting a great team on the field with there remain skeptical thought as to the moves that they make, one of whom being me. Its a long road, the Yankees are that much better, the Red Sox fired the biggest reason they stunk last year, and the Rays keep churning out a great team year after year while the O's who also have unlimited amounts of money to spend, were that much better then a team four games out of the cellar in the east.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
If the Jays look at this from a baseball perspective, and the Marlins look at it from a business standpoint, they both win.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
You claiming to be objective is contradicted by the countless negative comments you've made regarding this deal from the Jays perspective. Theres certainly risks involved, as there is with every trade.... But why are all the experts, and those who get paid to report on this, praising the Jays and AA? Why is there a complete uproar in south Florida if the Marlins won this deal? Why are the fans of the team so disgusted, yet you claim its such a great deal?
Because its a trade not about the fans in Florida, its about Loria pulling the same crap he always does while he failed in his attempt to attract fans to his new stadium and to get back at those same fans who wouldnt pay money to come to his new stadium he got rid of those same players he gave huge, questionable contracts to like some sort of punishment when reality says nobody even cared the slightest. Loria has a huge target on his back, and rightly so, but to be a last place team with low payroll trumps out a last place team with a huge one. Experts? Who cares, they get paid to write controversial crappage that means very little to anybody else with an opinion other then somebody actually pays them to write it. As for the fans of the Marlins, they have been thru this how many times before, if this one disgusts them other then the countless other ones they need to switch teams considering this is what the Marlins do and will continue to do with such a bi-polar owner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
The Marlins had to dump salary. Fortunately for the Jays, that salary also included premier major league talent in the form of two top end starters and one of the best short stops in the game who also happens to be a switch hitting base stealer who won a batting title the year before last. They also threw in a versitle switch hitting utility man who happens to be one of the fastest players in the game.. To top it off, they swapped their backup catcher who can't hit at all, for one who can hit a little.
While the Marlins pretty much moved their payroll down to almost nothing while getting premuim prospects to go along with finalcial stability now and in the future while they rebuild their team yet again without those same contracts looming down on their bottom line. With a brand new stadium and a brainless owner who shoots himself in the foot only because he obviously can. Now, is there ulterior motives for this move? Who knows, but the fact remains the Marlins do this every so often and this time it was the Jays who bit down. and wether it was right or wrong remains to be seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
If the Jays gave up a can't miss prospect, or even a prospect who projected as anything more then a avarage major leaguer then I would bet some Jays fans wouldn't be so willing to call it a fleece.... But they didn't. The only angle the Marlins won from was the financial angle. Thats fine, the multi-billion dollar ownership group was clearly very open to taking on salary to put a better product on the field.
The Jays gave up three of their top ten prospects on BBA's list of top tens. I will take their opinion on the prospects traded, over any blog writer or fan site considering that is what they do and are good at it.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...2/2614316.html

This is a great mark up on the trade and I will listen to their just made podcast that is all about this trade later. The Jays gave up quality, nothing is gonna change that fact while taking on all those contracts with some injury concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Money in the owners pocket doesn't win baseball games, money on the field does.
Money on the field of a last place team is just spending money for the sake of spending.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote