Thread: Proposal: Van - nj
View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 04:05 PM
KeslerKrony

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
so based on the original proposal our roster this year would look like...

Elias-Kesler-Zubrus
Butler-Henrique-Clarkson
Carter-Josefson-Kassian
Janssen-Gionta-Bernier/Barch

Salvador-Fayne
Larsson-Greene
Zidlicky-Volchenkov
Tallinder-Harrold

Brodeur (NTC just signed 2 year deal)
Hedberg (NTC just signed 2 year deal)
Schneider ??

No thank you, it leaves us with a log jam at goal and doesn't solve our log jam at D. Hedberg has little trade value but he is a great backup. Sentimentally he has more value to the Devils at backup, I don't know what we'd do with Schneider. Frazee and Wedgewood should be the goal tenders of the future for us

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Zubrus
Elias-Henrique-Clarkson
Butler-Josefson-Carter
Bernier-Gionta-Janssen/Barch

is what I'd rather have
Thanks for the detailed points.

Maybe it's just my opinion, but I'm thinking:

1) Schneider will be better than your prospects or anyone you pick up via UFA (unless you are willing to massively overpay).

2) Your "projected" lineup after the trade doesn't factor in that you might lose Elias to retirement and that I don't feel Bobby Butler will improve past a 2nd/3rd line tweener, in which you'll have more holes in your top 6. I would go on to say that I think Kassian would make your top 6 in that scenario:

Henrique - Kesler - Butler/Elias
Clarkson - Zubrus - Kassian (would be beast)

So while you lose Kovalchuk, you get two top 6 players for a number of years to come, which also has some value.

3) NJ is asking for Edler, but look at all of your D (prospects + depth). Also Edler's value is lower given he's a UFA (and he still wants to play here) which is bad asset management for us.

I'm still willing to add a 1st or Schroeder to the OP to make it more fair. I realize the top end talent that Kovy is, but this top 6 is too beast to ignore:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Kovalchuk - Zajac (if he resigns) - Booth/Higgins

KeslerKrony is offline   Reply With Quote