View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh View Post
"Maturation" meant before they hit AHL age. Not all of the picks will take a linear path.

I do agree with you on getting later (but higher up) draft picks. If we trade Hainsey or Antropov before the deadline when we're out of the playoff picture, I wouldn't mind 2014 picks.

You also have to consider those picks can be traded for our needs as well. You are right our system cannot handle a flood of draft picks coming in, but it certainly isn't stocked with high end talent like other teams.
My main point is, if we are out of the playoff picture there is serious problems that trading Hainsey and Antropov will not fix at all. If this core at this point cannot compete with this roster, we may as well blow up the whole thing and try again.

And prospects are generally not traded before they hit pro unless they are packaged for a proven player (ie Esposito as part of the Hossa trade) or refuse to sign (ie Tim Erixon to NYR). Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Rundblad to OTT one year after his draft for an equivalent pick, but I gotta think that you won't get fair value trying to trade a 2nd rounder one year removed from his draft.