View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 07:12 PM
kihei

vCash: 1102
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Holy Motors: 7/10
Holy Motors got quite a bit of buzz at Cannes after, for some reviewers, the "other limousine movie" actually upstaged Cronenberg's hotly-awaited Cosmopolis. Like Cosmopolis, Holy Motors is an assault of style, with most of the action taking place in a limosine prowling through the city (Paris, here). Its passenger is Mr. Oscar, played by Denis Lavant. Mr. Oscar's job seems to involve him taking a number of "assignments" which lead Mr. Oscar disguising himself and completing a multitude of bizarre scenarios - motion-capture, blacklit, dragon-avatared sex, dressing up like a freakish troll character and kidnapping supermodel Kay M (Eva Mendes), playing an old man on his deathbed, making a musical with Kylie Minogue, and picking up his daughter from a party. It's virtually impossible to find rhyme or reason to many of the events, but it remains a pretty fascinating ordeal, though it'll try the patience of many. Lavant in particular is incredible, and if nothing else, you'll want to keep watching the movie just to see how he transforms himself next. I feel like I need to see it at least one more time to start deciphering it though.
Paris Je t'aime as rethought in the spirit of Jean Cocteau? (Half-hearted defense: The movie is episodic, and the "underworld" on display here is as mundane but mysterious as the one in Cocteau's Orphee). Or not. I don't really have a clue, but I liked it. However, I doubt there is much to decipher on subsequent viewings; I think everybody just takes the associations they want from it and we do with them what we will. In my case, though not necessarily in anybody else's, these associations would include life as performance, multiple roles and identities, change, love, regret, aging, and loss--swirl them around like a martini in a tumbler and savour the feelings that result from doing so. I don't know how good the movie actually is, though I definitely enjoyed watching it go by. Film has such potential for exploring this kind of surreal/dream-like territory--I'm glad to see that somebody has done it. I wish directors would do it more often. Certainly among the top twenty films that I have seen so far this year.

subtitles

Last edited by kihei: 11-16-2012 at 07:33 PM.