View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 07:14 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysCyYoung View Post
Gose was rated thirty ninth overall on their pre-2012 season annual top 100 list. An elite outfield prospect with speed, contact ability, outstanding defensive play, and budding power. On most prospect lists he's ranked in the Jays top three. Check again, buddy.
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today...3/2614294.html

And?

"Elite", in your words, prospects just dont fall of the proverbial cliff when it comes to their very own team. Now, this could have been some sort of short sightedness on BBA's part, but I highly doubt an "Elite" prospect suddenly free falls without any sort of reason as to why. While Marisnick, the number two ranked prospect on the just released Jays top ten, an "Elite" five tool prospect, gets shafted when BBA has him ranked as the second best prospect? Something seems a bit strange over certain evaluations of the players who were traded, or the over rating of certain prospects who dont even rank in the top 10. Confusing, to say the least.

Quote:
Syndergaard had a 3.94 strikeout to walk ratio in Lansing. Sanchez had a 1.90 strikeout to walk ratio in Lansing.

The former ratio is absolutely outstanding, particularly given Syndergaard's high strikeout ability (10.6 over 9 innings last year). Sanchez still needs some work, but anything above 2 strikeouts per walk is considered acceptable.

Try again.
And both averaged almost if not more then five walks per nine innings last year. Thats an awful lot of pitches in this day and age of pitch counts and a sign that neither have the control of Nicolino, who was and is the more polished prospect right now. Now, thats what you get when you deal with power pitchers, this I know, but for the Marlins, they took the best possible pitcher with similar, if not more upside then the both of them considering he has a much, much better grasp with his control. So many pitches that add up that quickly for the two young power pitchers is a cause of concern obviously for arm issues later on down the road, while the Marlins take the guy who is farther along with the one thing a successful pitcher needs, control.

Quote:
The number seventeen ranked prospect on Baseball America (whose opinion you clearly value) and their pre-season annual top 100 list. The second-highest rank by a pure catcher in terms of position, and only one behind the top ranked, Devin Mesoraco at sixteen.
You said enough with the bolded. Last year, before yet another injury. His position puts him at a premium, that I understand, but at his age, he should be at least getting spot duty in the majors. A year is a long time for a prospect, and while he may be still highly reguarded in some circles, his value will diminish rapidly if he doesnt put everything togther.
Quote:
And 23 isn't even close to being old for a prospect, especially at catcher, a position that is notoriously difficult to master. D'Arnaud raked in Triple A this past season as well. Posey didn't become a regular until 23 years old and neither did Wieters. Travis is perfectly on track in terms of his projected trajectory to the majors.
Its the same thing with "power" forwards in the NHL. Catcher, if I recall, is the fastest way to the majors. Comparing D'Arnaud to a superstar like Posey is wishful thinking, even Weiters is a stretch considering both are, you guessed it, in the majors. Does he have what it takes? Who knows, but the odds at this moment dont look too promising just on his injury history alone.

Quote:
Pure fluff. If you think that Nicolino will be a contributor at the big league level as early as next season, and not only that but contribute anything worthwhile, I have a public-funded stadium in Little Havana that you can finance that will be a GREAT deal for you and the city.
You dont know if he will or wont, thats the beauty of baseball. Contribute? for a last place team? He has to do nothing but develop and has the luxury of having a chance to develop in the majors. Thats having your cake and eating it.

Quote:
So the Jays went from the best or second best system to a top ten system. While accumulating ten combined all-star appearances in the deal.
They also got a couple question marks in the process and injury concern. Now, coupled with the whole Burh dog situation this trade might be a bit more red tape then first imagined.
Quote:
I'll take that exchange any day. The precise value of building up such a quality system was to eventually be able to make transactions that are of tremendous importance to improving the major league club like we saw several days ago. The fact that none of the big four guys were touched is all the more remarkable. Marisnick would have been in that group prior to the season, but he really lost a lot of lustre by struggling so much this season.
Yet is the second ranked prospect?

Quote:
Four of the players that the Jays received in return have been all-stars in the past, three of them perennially.
And good for the Jays. Hopefully this trade works out for them and finally they can be considered a threat to the better teams in their division. Like I said before, I highly doubt this trade bothers the powers of the East one bit. Its a good start if those players aquired buck the trend and stay healthy but for teams such as the Yankees only puts them in a more viable position to spend more money.

Quote:
Which was to the Jays advantage. You trying to pin it any other way than a huge advantage for Toronto is intellectually dishonest on your part.
Its not. Its a questionable trade for both teams involved with the only thing thats fact is the Marlins got rid of all of that money. Everything else will be played out on the field and right now, nobody can predict the future.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote