Thread: Summit Series
View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 07:17 PM
darkhorse686

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
After those two games, how do you not commit to the guy? Perreault, just like Rick Martin, was a young man at the time. I understand there was pressure in Buffalo from then GM Punch Imlach that they should come home for training camp if they weren't going to play. Both men not realizing the long term consequences probably felt it was better to leave. Vic Hadfield, who was in his early 30s at the time, probably should have known better than to leave.

But from the stories I've heard there were certain players that were told they weren't going to dress again. Perreault was among them which caused him to leave. Why on earth they did that is still a mystery to me. We all know how he played in the 1976 Canada Cup, but he looked good in the 1972 games too and I don't know how they couldn't see that.
I read Sinden's book on the series (which was released not long after it concluded). According to Sinden, he benched Perreault in the 3rd period of game 5 because he was proving a liability on defense. Perreault later asked to leave. Sinden considered the NHL training camp thing an excuse

Sinden was really ticked off at the 4 guys (Hadfield, Martin, Guivermont, and Perreault) who left. He considered the 3 young guys a bunch of sulking cry babies who left so they could go to their own teams and feel wanted. He contrasts them to Marcel Dionne and Dale Tallon. Neither of these guys played but they stuck it out with the team.

As for the original post: with better preparation, I think it still ends 4-3-1 to Canada with the Canadian victories being more decisive as opposed to narrow, 1 goal victories and the 3 losses are closer

darkhorse686 is offline   Reply With Quote