View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Devils Advocate
mmmmmm....Crow.

vCash: 500
It's much harder to evaluate prospects live, than on TV. I was pretty focused on watching Seth Jones and it's a lot easier to keep track of a defensemen than a forward. Was the proverbial man playing against boys. Super composed, kinda boring. Not someone fans will get excited over, but leaves NHL Gm's drooling. He did try to make one nifty move jumping into the offense but it was ended by an offsides call. Not overly physical, but wisely as he wasn't challenged much.

What I notice when attending games is that a couple players will really stand out for either really good play, or really bad play. Ty Rattie seemed like he always either had the puck, not because he held on to it, but because he knew what to do with it, or where to go to get it back. Almost always made the right play. Ironically, he had his 11 game point streak broken.

Sam Grist stood out for all the bad reasons, dumb penalties (2 pp goals while he was in the box), and looking lost on the ice. That said, i enjoyed exclaiming 'Jesus Grist' everytime he was on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanky View Post
Let me know your thoughts on Bozon. I wanted him badly in the first round. After dropping to the third he's now third in league scoring, only behind his line mates. Anyways, enjoy.
Bozon was a bit invisible, I'm not sure if he ever played with Lipon/Smith as I think Ranford (was wondering if he was Bill Ranford's kid and just saw he was born in Edmonton..hmmm) was on their line.

No one from Kamloops stood out much offensively, but the Winterhawks seem to do that to a lot of opponents. They dominated the majority of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
How'd Bjorkstrand look?
He didn't stand out too much, but he did catch my eye a few times...and of course he scored twice. I started paying more attention to him after he scored his 2nd goal and I did notice some good play.

Corner seats really aren't good for player analysis I guess. But those are my favorite seats when sitting in the lower bowl. I don't think I'd make a great scout because I'd rather watch the action then focus on a handful of players.

Overall the game was a bit disappointing after the hype of the 2 best teams matching up, and after the Winterhawks put up 18 goals in the games on Friday/Saturday, I wasn't expecting a 3-1 score.

Oh yeah, another player did stand out, Mac Carruth was excellent when he needed to be. I was disappointed though as I was hoping to see Burke's kid play. Their goalie was excellent as well.

What I learned. Jim Playfair used to play for the Winterhawks as his picture was up in the arena, as did LaBraaBraa (let the haters commence) which I googled after I noticed someone wearing his Winterhawks jersey.

Cam Neely was also a Winterhawk, I'm planning on catching an Oil Kings game when they are in town, so I'm curious if Winterhawk fans hold a grudge when they see the name Samuelsson.

Saw a couple wearing #19 Blazers jerseys, but 'Doan' you know I didn't see the name I was expecting...instead #19 was Upshall.

Looking forward to watching the Giants play on TV tonight. I was really impressed in rookie camp practices 2 years ago watching Kessey...even back then he looked like he had the size of an NHL'er, but what do I know....not much. I'd really like him to turn into a longtime Coyote favorite in a bottom six role wreaking havoc.