View Single Post
Old
11-16-2012, 09:48 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I would totally have expected that a lot of casual fans would be lost (at least at first). I guess I just figured that people who took the time to post in a place like this, and for many, post quite prolifically, would feel more like I did. I know now that I was wrong about that. But it just surprised me, that's all. No judgement, just a personal observation.

But in conjunction with that, I also felt (and still feel) that a lot of people don't realize just how good players outside the NHL are, how narrow the margins are, and I don't think most fans would truly be able to tell the difference between a replacement player league and the NHL. I mean, you can't do a totally blind taste test, because of course the consumer/viewer *is* going to know that it's not the NHL players. But I just think the entertainment product would be just as good - or could be made just as good - such that if it really was given a "fair chance" (which is not possible in practise) people would be able to get into it and enjoy it just as much as the NHL. This is basically what happens over longer timescales anyway as player abilities change/evolve.

Again, all hypothetical fantasy talk, though. It ain't gonna happen.
If you removed Roger Federer, Raphael Nadal, Novak Djokovic, Andy Murray and the top 150 players from tennis, would you go cheer for the new dynasty of player #151 who would become #1, on the basis that the margin between him and Djokovic was narrow anyway, and that the entertainment product is just as good?

Don't kid yourself, talent level is very noticeable in games. It's easy to see the difference between the Canada-USA gold medal game in Vancouver, or the LA-NJ Stanley Cup Final series, versus that of the Habs in late 2011-2012.