View Single Post
Old
11-17-2012, 12:37 AM
kihei

vCash: 0

Stopped on Track (2011), directed by Andreas Dresen: In the first scene, Frank is told by a doctor that he has an inoperable brain tumour and has perhaps two months to live. The rest of the movie is a simple, very realistic portrayal of Frank’s last two months and of how he and his family cope with his inevitable demise. The movie, which this year won the German equivalent of the Academy Award, avoids psychological excess and sentimentality almost entirely and stays well clear of any kind of docudrama label. It wasn't until I got out of the theatre that I realized how carefully the movie is put together. The flow of events is very well chosen to shape this daunting narrative into a very believable account of what it must be like to die from cancer. So much so that it makes real demands on its audience. An obvious question arises: is it entertaining? Certainly not in the usual sense, though I found the movie deeply compelling from start to finish. In a way, I guess there is an irony in how often we see death occurring in the movies, and usually it means nothing: some bad guy is shot and falls over a railing or some such thing. In Stopped on Track, for once death at the movies seems very real. This time it had a sting; this time it was not a pretty sight.

subtitles

After sleeping on it for a night, Holy Motors moves up:

Top Ten 2012 so far

1. Amour, Haneke, France
2. A Simple Life, Hui, Hong Kong
3. Rhino Season, Ghobadi, Iran
4. No, Larrain, Chile
5. A Royal Affair, Arcel, Denmark
6. Oslo, August 31, Trier, Norway
7. Elena, Zvyagintsev, Russia
8. Holy Motors, France
9. Tabu, Gomes, Portugal
10. Skyfall, Mendes, US

Last edited by kihei: 11-17-2012 at 09:49 AM.