View Single Post
Old
11-17-2012, 02:29 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Agreed, great post. Sports unions give unions a bad name. At the same time, sports players had it extremely rough before unions. I'm not sure that over time it wouldn't revert back to them making peanuts without unification. I agree on the fan union too, it would be a great idea. It would never happen but nonetheless would be great if it did. It does sicken me to see people trash unions in the comments section of these NHL articles though. You have people dying of cancer, losing limbs, tons of people including myself inching toward mesothelioma with the carbon dust and chemicals we breath in. It's NOT the same thing at all.
There are very few unions out there that give unions a "good name" in the sense you're thinking.

That aside, the biggie pro sports leagues (NHL, MLB, NBA, NFL) would be far more complicated if the players weren't collectively represented by a union. While the NHLPA gives the NHL a headache (to say the least), the NHL would probably be a disaster w/o union representation of the players. Entering into a CBA with unionized players gives the NHL teams the right to do things they couldn't do absent union representation of the players.

The real problem with the NHL is the fact they've got teams with wildly different worth and fortunes (re value, revenue, growth potential, etc.) and have decided they want those teams to have equal potential in the league. If left to their own devices they could never achieve parity on their own...because, for example, people in Toronto will spend their time blowing away cash on exorbitantly priced tickets to see a perennially losing team while people in Anaheim will barely watch and quickly abandon their (recently) Stanley Cup winning team.

The NHL can try to fake it in a short term sense through the lockout (and CBA they want)...but the same problem will pop in a few years from now. Toronto, Montreal, and NYR will continue to drive the revenue in the league while the teams in the "non-traditional" markets will fall behind. The linkage the NHL loves so much will result and the same problem they face now quickly popping up again - it will actually start to get worse, b/c MSG has been renovated and I'm sure the ticket prices will go through the roof.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote