View Single Post
Old
11-17-2012, 04:34 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushev72 View Post
I really doubt that he'll be there either. If it was in Canada, its possible that all the other reasons that you mentioned for not going could be overcome. But because it is being held far to the East of Moscow, I just can't see him going halfway around the World for more than 2 weeks to play in the tournament. Then, if he goes there, its only human nature to assign him full responsibility for bringing back a Gold Medal for Canada. Anything less would be a failure for him exclusively. Also, and I don't whether this would be a factor or not, but the year before last season, when he made his debut in the NHL, he was cut by Hockey Canada so that he couldn't participate in the WJC in Buffalo. Nothing has been said, but I do wonder whether being cut, when he was clearly good enough to play, left a bad taste in his mouth towards Hockey Canada.
That's not the way elite athletes think. I completely disagree with your statement. You are attaching to him a decision he'll make based on what he may perceive to be unwarranted or unjustified expectations and make a decision based on the weight of responsibility or from the fear of failure. If he goes and Canada doesn't win Gold, somehow I think he'll manage to go on with this career and Canada will get over it. If he doesn't go, it will be for other reasons.

Last edited by Mr Writer: 11-17-2012 at 06:47 AM.