View Single Post
Old
11-17-2012, 10:49 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

vCash: 500
I think Berard would have ended up somewhere in the vicinity of a Sergei Gonchar type of career. He'd have produced more points, but been worse defensively. Probably would have made a couple of All-Star teams, and maybe had a postseason All-Star nod on an occasion or two, but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Phil View Post
See, I'm not so sure about that. I mentioned this in my first post that he seemed to lack hockey sense altogether. Some players do. Rico Fata could skate like the wind but the knock on him was "limited hockey sense". I think the NHL was starting to figure Berard out sooner than he expected. When you look at Brian Leetch or Coffey or Housley you would say they are not only great rushers but players with great vision and hockey sense as well. I never felt that with Berard. I always thought he was just a good rusher with little else at his disposal. For whatever reason the league was starting to figure him out long before his eye injury. Some players have one trademark move and once it gets exploited they can't do a whole lot else. That's my opinion on Berard.
True, but he was still fairly young when the eye injury occurred, and it's not like players stop developing at age 21 or 22 anyway.

Look at someone like Scott Niedermayer, who had terrific sense and vision. It took him five full NHL seasons to even begin to find some consistency in his game. It took Chris Pronger several seasons and a trade to do the same.

Mayor Bee is offline   Reply With Quote