View Single Post
Old
11-17-2012, 11:26 AM
Gigantor The Goalie

vCash: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
The weight reduction, lack of water retention, better shaped and better at holding that shape pads allowed for better stances and technical play.
Does buddy mention that at all?
You could not go down with anywhere near the frequency that goalies do today. You would be so dead by the third period and your pads would weigh even more by that point on top of it.
And honestly, how effective does anyone think the butterfly was when you covered at least 25% less net when you did it back then.
Guys like Tony O and Dan Bouchard were known as butterfly goalies but they used it maybe 30-40% of the time. They would barely qualify as hybrids in today's NHL heh.

As I said earlier, my style changed overnight with synthetic equipment.
I didn't just suddenly become good technically, I always knew my angles. I had to play the way my equipment would allow me to play.
There's also the fact that goalies these days are better trained. Yes equipment has changed, as a goalie you should enjoy that. Why would you want to feel like as heavy as an elephant?

To say that equipment has been the biggest and most effective change in the goalies' arsenal these days is a lie. You cannot contribute everything a goalie does purely because of his equipment. The best thing about equipment these days is that you can customize it to your fit and needs. Like Brodeur does.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote