View Single Post
11-17-2012, 12:01 PM
Global Moderator
vCash: 509
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
You first said that Goodenow had no balls. Now you're saying that Goodenow "blinked" when he was stared down?

I just don't know what to tell you. Goodenow held his ground and didn't accept the terms NHL offered, thus the season was missed.
What? When the season was about to be canceled, he offered a salary cap in the late-night emails which were intended to be made public by TSN. And then the league canceled the season anyways. And then afterward when they tried to un-cancel the season, in that meeting when the PA requested that Lemieux and Gretzky show up, Saskin came out and said there wasn't any progress (I don't recall whether or not Goodenow was or was not in that meeting), Bettman told WFAN that he felt he was set up, and the season was still canceled. Memory may be foggy after 8 years, but I'm pretty sure that's what happened in February of 2005.

Otherwise, if you're in such awe of not being able to comprehend a different form of reasoning, feel free to stay in your bubble.

Originally Posted by pepty View Post
it was Paul Kelly, a moderate who was first voted in by the players as the new director of the PA,post Goodenow.

Kelly was deposed in a middle of the night coup by a few malcontents, Goodenow hardliners and others.
. That led to an unfathomable string of events: players with union connections conspiring to undermine Kelly, union lawyers gaming to get control, longtime union reps exiled, and former auto union boss Buzz Hargrove making an alleged power grab for the throne and replacing Eric Lindros as Ombudsman in March 2009. (Lindros was said to be leading the "get Kelly movement," which according to some was an egregious breach of his duties.)

After that coup was completed in a rush job in the middle of the night while most PA members were sleeping they looked for a new director. It seems that Fehr did not require a lot of persuasion.

The committee members seem to want former Major League Baseball players union boss Donald Fehr, who has been acting as an unpaid advisor for nearly a year. Fehr is at least hinting at interest -- so much interest that critics of his role with hockey are pointing at the fact that he was a principal advisor on the new constitution with an eye on making certain that it's bulletproof regarding the needs of a new boss taking his charges into negotiations for a CBA that will replace the one that expires in two years. Fehr is also advising on the search for a new director, an odd role when one is also said to be on the short list of candidates for the job.

Fehr is 61 and has indicated that he has the drive for one more go-round with a sports entity.

Read More:
I do remember the very short Paul Kelly Era, don't know if he actually accomplished anything, but the point was Fehr is here because there is no one out there who is less likely to fold when Bettman goes for the jugular.

The PA feels the perception is that they are a bunch of sheep, later confirmed by a team executive, and further confirmed by other repulsive people such as Jeremy Jacobs, and then of course there is the black-clouded association with Alan Eagleson. When Fehr was director of the MLBPA, they were not sheep.

Philadelphia's Real Alternative

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2015

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote