View Single Post
11-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Global Moderator
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
And you are correct, much better playoff performer. But that seems to be the strong point for many of the candidates this round (Broda, Smith, Parent, Bower).
That's a good observation for framing the decisions we face in this round.

Personally, I find it hard to overlook extended regular-season mediocrity. Great playoff runs are obviously the ideal outcome of a season, but I get suspicious when I see a guy whose numbers are night and day from March to April. Where was his "clutch" play when playoff positioning or division titles were on the line? Sure, playoff games are more important than those things, but in the moment it doesn't feel that way. It's pretty rare to see a team genuinely blow off regular games as unimportant, so the thought of the goalie having that attitude... I dunno, it just doesn't seem like a positive trait. And it seems that those super-clutch playoffs tend to happen on teams that provide a notably high level of "clutch" support at all positions, not just goal.

So, while I don't want to completely blow off guys like Smith and Broda, I kind of need to be sold that they had a good reason for being ordinary 80% of the time.

tarheelhockey is online now   Reply With Quote