View Single Post
Old
11-17-2012, 02:16 PM
arsmaster
semantic romantic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I in the Eye View Post
I don't disagree with you... but you could have the right way on the road, and still end up dead in a crash... If you end up dead, does it really matter that you had the right of way? The players, IMHO, have to be real careful about their "life" (or careers)... They still end up real nice, regardless of what they agree to in a CBA...

I'm all for the players pushing things as far as they can, to get the most that they can - right up to the last possible minute... I can get behind that (from both player and owner side - I hold no blame for each side trying to get the most they can, with the pressure points they have)... If Fehr's goal is to make the NHL uneasy and worried to get things for the players that they otherwise couldn't get, I support what Fehr is doing completely... It's a negotiation, and he's negotiating for the players, so he needs the NHL to be real concerned, at this point... Fehr needs to line things up and have the NHL think that he'd blow it all up... I'd even hint at "decertify"... If Fehr actually does blow it all up though (lost season, etc.), terrible, IMO... Terrible for the players, terrible for the game... Terrible for me, terrible for you... The owners? I don't expect anything else, so I cut them more slack... The owners are liars, and shady, and that's just a given, IMHO... It's not right, but that's the way it is... The owners are in the position of strength, and I think it would be foolish for the players not to agree to a CBA that would allow them to play (and continue their careers) ASAP... It would be foolish, IMO, for the players to die on their swords here... This isn't the time and place for a union to make a Braveheart-type stance... If it was for immigrant worker berry pickers who are being grossly mistreated or taken advantage of? Absolutely... "Normal" industry unions against lying and shady owners? Sure... The wins and loses can have profound affect, in the grand scheme of things... In this case, even if the players lose the CBA dramatically, the players still win, extraordinarily... If the players blow that up, I think it was a foolish thing to do...

I think the players are probably in the right... But, sometimes, so what, IMHO? You could be completely right and without fault, but also be dead - or end up screwing yourself in the process of being right... Is this really something worthy of dying (or screwing yourself) over? If the NHL was harvesting babies for their DNA, and the players were trying to stop it, willing to sacrifice their careers for it, admirable... But, get the most you can (anyway you can, within the law), of the millions of dollars available, and then get back to playing... That's my vote, as an outsider...
So silly that people just cave to that being a foregone conclusion.

Frankly its BS.

Same as the sentiment that the players who signed contracts should have known they would get rolled back...thats a effin joke.

If I sign a contract for anything, I make sure I get that....that's why it's a contract.

Quote:
conĚtract   [n., adj., and usually for v. 15–17, 21, 22 kon-trakt; otherwise v. kuhn-trakt] Show IPA
noun
an agreement between two or more parties for the doing or not doing of something specified.
an agreement enforceable by law.
the written form of such an agreement.
the division of law dealing with contracts.
Obviously the players are unwilling to immmediately link their potential earnings to get to 50/50....

If the NHL came out and suggested a way for all signed contracts to get paid out in full as per the contracts signed, they'd be playing.

That is where the bad faith comes in...sign me to a 6 year deal and cry poor the next day, lock me in for 13 years, and tell me you are only going to pay me 75% of what I negotiated, I'd be pissed too, and I'd be fighting for the money I'm rightfully owed.

This is all without even bringing up the NHL's stance on contracts....what a joke.