View Single Post
Old
11-17-2012, 03:42 PM
boredmale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
Just not sure why you singled out Boston and Philly as big free agent spenders. Brygalov? before that Who? Chara was 7 years ago. I think there biggest splash since was Ryder 5 years ago. How about Toronto, Minnesota, Florida, Columbus and scores of other teams that have spent a lot more than The Bruins and Flyers in free agency. Just because those teams haven't had the success doesn't mean they're not the big spenders in free agency.
Philly is the worst offender of UFA signings. I know technically they didn't sign Hartnell, Timonen and Brygalov as UFAs, it was a trade and sign where they basically gave up pennies on the dollar for what they were worth since they were set to become UFAs. Add to that Brierre. As I said bullying around teams like Nashville with the Weber signing doesn't help.

That's a fairly solid group of players

As for Boston while maybe not in the category of Philly or the Rangers, Chara is the best UFA signing in the past 7 years, that in itself is luck enough. You could also add Savard to the list of signings that helped the team(although not anymore). All that being said yeah Boston probably doesn't deserve to be on the list with Philly and Rangers(as well as Minnesota) for getting top talent recently on the UFA market. I still would not rate them in the 5 competitive teams though I listed mainly due to lucking out with Seguin.

Last edited by boredmale: 11-17-2012 at 03:48 PM.
boredmale is online now   Reply With Quote