View Single Post
Old
11-17-2012, 05:43 PM
llamapalooza
Hockey State Expat

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vashanesh View Post
There's a black friday deal to get a Vita and a game... I'm really, REALLY tempted by that...

So many old PS1 era games that I could play on the go, plus it's starting to get some great games on it's own. Persona 4 looks aaaaaaaaaaaaamazing....

I just don't know if I can 1. convince the fiance to let it slide and 2. justify the extra's that I know I'll need to buy...

*groan*
Here's my take on Vita as someone with both a Vita and a 3DS:

Vita's a fantastic piece of hardware but I'm not super impressed by the software yet. A lot of the games have been so close to console quality that the little ways they fall short really show in comparison. E.g., Need for Speed Most Wanted is almost a pixel-for-pixel port of the console game which is an incredible accomplishment...except there's only like 10% of the traffic because it can't render as many cars, so you're basically just driving around near-empty streets.

Uncharted feels very much the same way. When developers start making games that use the Vita's power without trying to scale down console engines it will be spectacular. As it stands now, though, the 3DS has a much stronger software lineup, because games are generally designed around the system rather than shoehorned onto it. (And also because Nintendo is probably the best and most experienced portable game developer in the world.)

Also: PS1 games are pretty great, but you won't be able to fit many onto the tiny, expensive memory cards. But yeah Castlevania SotN on Vita is awesome.

In other news, Wii U comes out tomorrow, and as far as I can tell, no one gives a ****. I've literally bought every Nintendo console since I was born within a month of it coming out, and I'm not even remotely interested. Sure hope Nintendo shapes the **** up and starts showing off some real, deep software soon.