View Single Post
Old
11-17-2012, 06:56 PM
Gobias Industries

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'm should't say that they scrapped their youth. Poor choice of words on my part, my apologies. Let me clarify.

I'm saying that they are spending for the present, and increased their payroll to new heights, whereas in the last few years, they have almost solely gone the route of building within instead of going for a massive splash at once. I just wonder if this decision has something to do with lack of one or two super dominant teams in the AL East for the first time in a long while, and the jays trying to take advantage of it.
Sure, that and this is probably the expected best year of production from the core of Lawrie, Bautista, Encarnacion, Morrow and Romero combined. So that, plus a floundering Red Sox, the new wild card spot, a more wide open AL East and I think the timing was great.

From a local ticket and merchandise perspective the timing is EVEN better. No Leafs to think about and most people are pretty apathetic about hockey, so it's a great time to get excited about the Jays. I bet there are 20x more Jays jerseys sold at Christmas this year versus last year. The buzz for the season should ride out until the home opener if there's no hockey.

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote