View Single Post
Old
11-18-2012, 12:12 AM
Numbers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
The top 4 in Hamhuis, Bieksa, Edler and Garrison is just fine.

But that bottom 3 leaves a lot to be desired.

Ballard has been an absolutely horrible fit with the Nucks (for both him and the organization I hope he gets an opportunity elsewhere).

Tanev is a useful Dman but he has limited upside as well as experience. He is fine as a # 5 or 6 but if an injury occur having him play 20 minutes a night would be a bad thing.

Alberts isn't someone you'd even want in your lineup regularly.

Vancouver by adding Gunnarson would get themselves a # 4 quality dman who can fit into the cap structure of the team this year and beyond, he's good 5 on 5 and on the PK. He isn't good on the PP but you've got 4 great options so he wouldn't be needed there. The only issue with Gunnarson is that he plays the left side.

Gardiner and Phaneuf are both out of the question. Komi has a terrible contract. Liles contract doesn't fit within your cap structure and he needs PP that isn't available on your team to be successful. Franson has defensive shortcomings and needs PP time to excel (which he wouldn't get). Holzer is a project with limited upside and won't help much with winning now well your core is in its peak. So we`re left with Gunnarson as the best D to offer.
Ok we'll apparently you do not watch the Canucks play enough, because Ballard in the last playoffs actually played pretty good. At any rate Ballard and Tanev are a great 3rd pairing, ask most Canucks fans and they will agree. He also gives us depth at the position which is great. The only reason to get rid of Ballard is to save cap space because he is an expensive 5 dman. Tanev is great defensively and has really good poise for his age. Tanev will get more opportunity to play and that will be part of his development. Alberts isn't great but he is fine as depth player. Are you a Toronto fan by any chance? I'm sorry to say your analysis is just not true. I watch almost every Canucks game and out 3rd pairing is fine, as I mentioned the only reason to dump Ballard is to save cap space. At the moment the Canucks have one of the best defensive units in the game.