View Single Post
Old
11-18-2012, 08:11 AM
thatshype

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Thing is, from a first baseman you'd like 30 homeruns and a 280+ AVG. But like I said, I suppose it's an upgrade over Lind regardless so still makes us better. Definitely provides the power.

It really depends on how much he asks for I suppose.
That is definitely true from a baseball traditionalist aspect, it doesn't have to be true for every team. The idea of a 1B that dominates offensively is mostly based on a model where the team gets very little power from CF/SS/2B/C. The principle is that those four spots is where you need strong defence, and usually strong defensive players don't bring big hitting power. In THAT model, then yes corner OFers and corner IFers need to mash to make up for the deficiencies up the model.

I think the Jays have more balance of power/hitting through their position players. Not many teams can squeeze 20 HRs out of both the Catcher and CF positions. Additionally, we have both Encarnacion and Bautista who are both threats to lead the league in HRs. Last year Jays were 6th in HRs, and that's with Lind only chipping in 11.

I don't believe that we necessarily NEED an upgrade at 1B. If one presents itself, then by all means we can jump on it. But I don't think we should move MORE prospects or a pitcher to acquire one. If it's coming through Free Agency, then sure. Otherwise, let's see what our team can do with roughly the same power as last season, but with better OBP and ERA.