View Single Post
Old
11-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supreme King View Post
It was after the Islanders won their fourth straight cup. What's so bad about that statement?? He may have been right.
In hindsight I don't think the Islanders are the best team ever. But at that time, the emotion, the 4 straight coming off a sweep, I can definitely see someone saying that and I wouldn't doubt some in the media may have thought so. The Isles had won 4 in a row with little signs of slowing down. It wasn't crazy to think they'd win 5. If they did we would all have to seriously consider from an all-time sense who was the best. So Potvin's comment wasn't all that crazy in that context of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappyline View Post
I am curious who picked the game and tournament MVP and allstars for Canada. Was it Eagleson. Certainly it was him or he had a great deal of influence. Most mind boggling was Sittler (an Eagleson guy) as the Canadian forward on the tournament AS team. Sure he got the winning goal but he was practically invisible except for that. Should have been Hull or Perreault.

Also wasn't Orr the game MVP 3X. Can see Potvin legitimately *****ing about that. Love Orr and he played great but he wasn't a one man team. Maybe a bit of Eagleson client promotion going on.
Fair point, it may have been Eagleson. I urge people to watch that Canada/Russia game in that tournament. I really have never understood the myth that Orr was great in the game. He was more or less............invisible if you can say that about him. Perreault was the best Canadian that game for sure, so I don't know what they were thinking. I believe Orr's MVP came from the two Czech games in the final in which he played well. I'll agree that Sittler didn't play as well as Perreault or Hull but in my mind he was the 3rd best Canadian forward. Better than Lafleur and better than Clarke as well. Nothing wrong with how Lafleur played, but in all honesty I felt Pete Mahovlich was the cornerstone of that Shutt-Mahovlich-Lafleur line in that tournament.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote