View Single Post
Old
11-18-2012, 02:16 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Canadian fans and media don't generally throw their players under the bus when they lose. There might be other reasons for RNH not going, but I doubt that being blamed would even cross his mind. I remember Bragin marvelling last year at how TSN concentrated on the positives for Canada after the loss to Russia -- specifically how well they played in the third -- rather than the negatives.
As I read my posts, they may emphasize the aspect of shrinking from high expectations more than is warranted. I hope he goes, because I think it would be fun to see. He would probably be the best Canadian player there, maybe the best player overall, but Canada will still have a number of players that they wouldn't ordinarily have if there was an NHL season. They would still have a great team even without him. One aspect that has been publicized lately is the interest generated in the AHL, particularly in Oklahoma City, with Nugent-Hopkins, Eberle, Hall and others are there. I think he would have to sacrifice at least a full month of his paycheck, in lieu of being given paid vacation, to participate in the tournament. Its a lot to ask of someone who is in a pro league to give up that much money. His love of country may transcend that, and I hope it does, but it is certainly a valid reason for not playing.