View Single Post
Old
11-18-2012, 04:44 PM
Hardyvan123
tweet@HardyintheWack

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I do think it's worth noting, in light of the accusations here of era bias, that mostly the same group of voters using the same set of standards have voted Lidstrom's contemporaries as the 1st, 2nd and 6th best goalies of all time.
Well when we get to the forward positions it might be a different matter but that's neither here nor there as is the ranking of the goalies 1,2 and 6th.

You yourself have stated that you treat all eras equally, something that many do here and in the ATD but don't often freely admit.

Overall the Dmen that started there careers post 92ish did quite poorly in the aggregate list considering the numbers of new players from feeder pools other than the traditional 5 province Canadian one.

The cases of Nieds, Zubov and Chara are pretty front and center on that front.

On the flip side guys like Pilote, Savard, Lapointe and Suchy were treated much more kindly than more recent guys who get nitpicked over in a fully integrated league. Even Hod Stuart gets treated with kid gloves with his claim to being the best player in the world (with no defined timeline). One would hope that Forsberg will get the same treatment but we all know that will not be the case when it comes to the top centers project.

In general on the topic of era and the talent pool i gave a pretty specific example in post 300 which has not gathered any response one way or the other and I can only judge by the general responses on here that there is very little attention being given to the drastic change in the landscape and makeup of the NHL talent pool both in terms of quality and depth of the pool.

Frankly I'm at a loss to why that is the case but I suspect some adherence to the sticky and a misguided notion of respect for all eras is being confused with treating them equally or near equal when it's pretty clear there are not close to being equal.

Last edited by Hardyvan123: 11-18-2012 at 04:53 PM.
Hardyvan123 is online now   Reply With Quote