View Single Post
11-18-2012, 04:10 PM
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I was one of the senior managers in the hotel, so it did not affect me, but when the hotel union decertified (Obviously this is different with the NHL)--they lost bargining power during contract talks

If I recall, you're not in Canada or the US either, so not sure that the same laws would apply.

Of course, the entire point to unionizing in the first place is to gain bargaining power. The Strike as a work stoppage measure favored employees, up to a point. The pendulum has swung in the other direction now, with employers using the reverse-Strike... aka, Lockout to coerce the union into accepting their terms.

What I believe we're seeing in pro sports anyway is this: is the presence of the union more helpful to the members or the employers? If the union loses more by being forced to collectively accept terms that favor the owners more than these favor them, the answer may be decertification. At least in sports, it wouldn't really be good at all to have no union as the entire system of drafting, free agency and 'contracting' practices would essentially disappear.