View Single Post
Old
11-18-2012, 05:17 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
Datsyuk's numbers might not pop out, but I find it very unlikely that he doesn't get in. You have to keep in mind who votes on this. Hockey people and his peers hold him in the highest regard. Even if he leaves in two years to finish in Russia I have a feeling he is still pretty close to a slam dunk. Especially if Russia wins Olympic gold and I think they should be favored on home ice to do just that.

They say they count the players impact on the International level and in other leagues. It is the hockey hall of fame not just the NHL. On top of a lot of the awards he has won, he was the Russian league mvp during the last lockout and has a championship there as well. A Gold medal in the WC. He has quite a list of accomplishments, Zetterberg is the Wings guy that needs to keep up strong play in order to get this honor.
Zetterberg is as much of a lock as Dats is. He has a 2nd team selection and a Conn Smythe, plus an Olympic Gold, a Cup, and another Finals appearance. He has also been far better in the playoffs than Dats while posting comparable RS career stats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDatsZuke View Post
I didnt read the question "Out of the guys currently playing, who makes the Hall?" as if they would retire today. Nash in New York will probably get better stats, and also a Cup. A Stanley Cup, World Championship (most valuable player) and Olympic Gold + the Rocket makes the introduction likely in my mind + 5 All Star Game appearances (not much competition on BJs).

Both Giroux and Doughty are great players that I am confident will have a resumé better than many already in the Hall, when they retire.

I somewhat agree in that Nash has to prove his worth in New York to get valid consideration.
But you can't just assume that a young player like Giroux or Doughty will prove themselves Hall-worthy, or that Nash will do enough over the rest of his career to earn the nod. If asked in the summer of 1996, Jim Carey would be a HHOFer by that qualification. He had just won the Vezina, after finishing third in Vezina and all-star voting the year before as a rookie. He had more accolades to his name than Martin Brodeur (HHOF lock) or Chris Osgood (highly likely), despite being two years younger.

Carey still has accomplished more than any of Nash, Doughty or Giroux (save for Doughty's Cup), and Carey is one of many Vezina winners who will not ever be in the Hall.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote