View Single Post
Old
11-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Vicente

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by preissingg View Post
Doesn't a stipulation exist whereby NHL teams don't have to offer a contract as soon to NCAA players as is required for major junior players?

I recall reading how some NHL teams definitely saw this as a positive feature for drafting college players.

Maybe this contributes to the numbers you quote here.

"A player not signed by his NHL team within two years of being drafted can re-enter the draft, as long as he is 20 years old or younger at the time of the subsequent draft. Players over 20 become unrestricted free agents.

NCAA players are an exception: NHL teams retain the rights to a college player until 30 days after the player has left college."
Well. That might be in some cases the reason but more often I think teams prefer players who are ready for NHL regarding their physics and personality (which is more likely the case for a 24 year old guy with a university degree than for a 19 year old CHL player.

I have no numbers for it but I have the impression NCAA players are added faster to NHL rosters than CHL players after playing in the Minor Leagues. That would proof my theory right.