View Single Post
Old
11-18-2012, 05:39 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Bonvie View Post
So clearly, by this metric, Brodeur is far superior to Hasek and Roy.
I really don't understand what you are seeing.

Brodeur has a slight advantage in Vezina shares over Hasek and Roy due to elite longevity in the NHL in the regular season. I think that when competition is considered, Belfour really stands out over the field. He faced much stronger competition than Fuhr or Barrasso - for all of his career, he competed against one of Roy, Hasek, or Brodeur, and usually it was all three. Belfour's NHL career started right when Europeans first started making a major impact in the NHL and right as the NHL began expanding from 21 to 30 teams. And Belfour was much better in the playoffs than Luongo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
But isn't there a huge drop off after Roy? And Isn't it telling that no one after Belfour is near up for consideration?
I honestly think Belfour is closer to Roy/Hasek/Brodeur than he is to any other goalie who came after 1990. The man won 2 Vezinas and was a clearcut #2 to prime Hasek for a third. Also, he was fantastic in the playoffs for Dallas. His career playoff GVT is second only to Patrick Roy, mostly driven by his years in Dallas. I do think that Ken Hitchcock has a history of making goalies look statistically better than they actually were, but that's still quite impressive. I definitely remember Belfour getting a lot of credit for outdueling Patrick Roy in the playoffs two seasons in a row.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote