View Single Post
Old
11-18-2012, 06:42 PM
garret9
AKA#VitoCorrelationi

vCash: 500
I forgot about this.

Rob Volman, from Hockey Prospectus, did a write up (actually 3) on the Jets, predicting their point totals by looking at two different statsy-like prediction methods (VUKOTA and Snepsts... don't ask me what they are, way too advance stats for me lol) and also looked for career comparable players in NHL's history.

I don't always agree with Rob but it's a nice read.

Quote:
Jim Slater

Sleeper alert! We might have some good news for the late rounds of deep fantasy pools. Jim Slater has had an awfully tough defensive assignment recently, usually with anvil-like wingers weighing him down, and now the Jets might finally have attracted the type of two-way talent that will permit him to open up his offensive game.

Slater's defensive credentials are quite impressive. He's the team's best faceoff man, throws over 8.0 hits per 60 minutes, blocks shots, drew more penalties than he took for the third time in four seasons, and his on-ice save percentage of .921 last year was actually his lowest.

The trouble is that Slater's assignment has been purely defensive: for three years he's had among the lowest offensive zone start percentages on the team, all the way down to 28.5% last season. Though he has occasionally been spared from having to shut down the top lines last year, as in 2009-10, he faced the highest quality of competition on the team. He was also put back on the top penalty-killing unit.

Even though this type of role doesn't lead to a lot of scoring, especially from 30-year-olds (in December), he still managed a career high 21 points, and was on pace for 27 the year before. Not only could he continue to be good for 25 points, he could break into the 30s if given decent linemates, or any kind of offensive opportunities.
For those that want to read the other ones:
The Top-Six Forwards
Secondary Forwards
The Defensemen

garret9 is offline   Reply With Quote