View Single Post
Old
11-18-2012, 07:07 PM
seventieslord

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danincanada View Post
What I'm saying is that hockey is still huge in Canada and knowing the population has doubled makes it extremely likely that the talent pool has also increased by some factor. Do you think it hasn't increased at all since Harvey or Shore's time??
I think it's fair to say that, whatever degree the talent pool has increased by, the number of players of qualities x, y, and z have increased proportionally. But that can't be applied to the geniuses and outlier players. There is no guarantee that if one generation produces one, that a generation three times the size will produce three.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietCompany View Post
Question, where would Ulf Samuelsson and Leo Bovin rank? Would they crack the top 100?
Definitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 View Post
No people have a mystic and perception of the legend that doesn't look at the low quality of play in the NHL during that time and more people seem to be peak and prime oriented than career oriented as well. Maybe this will change over time but who knows.
You keep bringing up the poor competition in the 70s, but you ignore that Orr dominated the other elite players in the league to a greater degree than anyone else did.

Quote:
Lidstrom is clearly ahead of Harvey all time and that's before we even factor in the level of competition as well.
Not according to the majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I do think it's worth noting, in light of the accusations here of era bias, that mostly the same group of voters using the same set of standards have voted Lidstrom's contemporaries as the 1st, 2nd and 6th best goalies of all time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
Heh, we had a huge discussion on this previously where your opinion didn't fare well. Starting it again from scratch might not be whining per-sey but it's a lot like trying to run a race over again after you finished last in it the first time.

seventieslord is offline   Reply With Quote