View Single Post
11-18-2012, 08:45 PM
Big Phil
vCash: 500
Which international team has/will have the most HHOFers?

Top level tournaments only apply of course. Start with 1972 and the teams with far less than others won't be mentioned. Just the ones in the running.

1972 Canada 14 - P. Esposito, Cournoyer, Ratelle, F. Mahovlich, Dryden, T. Esposito, Park, Savard, Lapointe, Mikita, Clarke, Dionne, Gilbert, Perreault. Potential inductees could include: P. Mahovlich, Martin, White

1976 Canada 17 - Orr, Hull, Perreault, Clarke, Lafleur, Dionne, Sittler, Shutt, McDonald, Barber, Potvin, Savard, Lapointe, Robinson, Cheevers, Gainey, Esposito. Potential: P. Mahovlich, Vachon, Martin

1984 Canada 12 - Gretzky, Messier, Coffey, Anderson, Bossy, Goulet, Gartner, Robinson, Bourque, Stastny, Yzerman, Fuhr. Potential: Middleton, Peeters, Lowe, Tonelli, Wilson

1987 Canada 12- Gretzky, Lemieux, Messier, Coffey, Bourque, Hawerchuk, Goulet, Gilmour, Anderson, Fuhr, Gartner, Murphy. Potential: Hextall, Propp, C. Lemieux

2002 Canada - 12 Lemieux, Sakic, Yzerman, Brodeur, Belfour, Nieuwendyk, Pronger, Niedermayer, Blake, MacInnis, Iginla, Shanahan. Potential: Lindros, Fleury, Joseph, Peca, Kariya

2010 Canada - 6 Crosby, Thornton, Iginla, Niedermayer, Pronger, Brodeur. Potential: Fleury, Luongo, Keith, Boyle, Weber, Doughty, Staal, Toews, Richards, Getzlaf, Perry, Richards, Heatley.

Alright, I tried to get a non Canadian team on here and the best we had was the US team in 1996 which was still far off. I was trying to use only the teams that could match the #1 team (so far) with current and potential HHOFers. That way there is at least a "chance" that some team can hit 17 like the 1976 team.

Team Canada 1976 has 17 inductees in there. Many of us think Vachon should be in there including myself. I personally think Peter Mahovlich should get a longer look than he does (not saying he should be in there). 1987 falls short and it would take a lot of borderline candidates for the 1984 team to tie 17.

That leaves 2002 and 2010 which are two teams with players still not eligible. I lumped Iginla and Shanahan in the pile of inductees based purely on assumption, so I think it's safe. 2002 could easily have 16 overall HHOFers if Lindros, Kariya, Fleury and Joseph get in there. Peca is a little dicey, but theoretically 16 isn't all that far off even if I have my reservations on some of them.

2010 is the team that could have up to 19 HHOFers in my opinion. Hence the word "could". This is purely speculative folks and I can't stress that enough. No doubt there are lots of things each of those "potential" players needs to do. Some of them are on the right path though and I can easily see them in there:

Weber - Two first team all-stars, probably the best defenseman in the NHL
Doughty - Young, a Norris finalist and a Cup winner with a Smythe caliber run
Keith - A Norris, and a Cup with a Smythe-like run. Could be another Carlyle though
Boyle - Getting old and two lockouts have done nothing but hurt him. Longshot.
Staal - A Cup, a Smythe type run and a 100 point season. Needs to get there again.
Toews - A Cup, a Conn Smythe and an Olympic MVP. Will constantly be a Selke threat
Perry - A Hart winner and a Richard winner. Needs more of that though.

Anyway, discuss. Is 1976 same for a long time, even in our lifetime or can it be touched?

Last edited by Big Phil: 11-18-2012 at 11:45 PM.
Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote