View Single Post
Old
11-18-2012, 09:22 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by That View Post
Now that we are nearing the 25 game mark in the OHL, I thought I'd share some of my thoughts on 4 of better known draft eligible prospects.

I'm going to start with probably my favourite player for this years draft; Sean Monahan. He started off the season with 7 points in 4 games, but I wasn't happy with his performance. He looked completely uninterested defensively offensively, despite the point totals, looked lost. Then it all changed. He looked dominant offensively and was shutting down the opposition. Since then, he's been heavily engaged in all three zones, even raking up a 11 game point streak (21 points). He's been held of the short sheet for 3 games, but he's still looked great offensively and of course defensively. Unless something changes, he will be in the NHL next year. He's that good.

Ryan Kujawinski had a rough start to his OHL career. He got traded to Kingston, and hasn't looked back since. He put 30 points in 30 games to close his first OHL season. This year, he's kept up the momentum. He started off the year winning the OHL player of the week. He's a big, skilled, playmaking centre. He's still very raw at this point, but he's insanely talented. He's very inconsistent and has a weak defensive game. However, don't be surprised if he goes higher than expected on draft day. While he's a project, he has an undeniable talent level.

Sault Ste Marie's towering defenceman Darnell Nurse is having quite the year. He's a 6'05" 192 lb defenceman with a mean streak. Not only that, but he skates incredible well and is a rock defensively. He's possesses a booming slapshot and great offensive instincts as well. He's put up 16 points in 23 games so far this season. Since Sproul went down with injury, he's been relied on to carry his team both offensively and defensively. He's thrived in that pressure. At this point, he still is very raw and inconsistent. I'd really like the Habs to draft him. He's the perfect fit for team. He plays on the left side and is great defensively, he'd be a perfect partner for PK.

Last one, the Storm's Jason Dickinson has to be my biggest riser. At the beginning of the year I did not consider him a first round talent. After his monster month of October where he posted 14 points in 11 games, I'm sure many feel he's a first round talent now. He's a very complete player, especially for his age. He possesses a great defensive game, and brings a consistent level of compete every night. He's also very disciplined, only picking up 2 PIM. That's very impressive, especially when you take into account that he's a physical player. Like Rychel, his physical game is a inconsistent. He's the complete package offensively as well. He's a great playmaker, has a great wrist shot, and has great puck skills. I'd like to see him play with more intensity though, he tends to go extended periods of time where he doesn't do much at all.

Thanks for those who took the time to read this. Also, this isn't a ranking of the players, it's just some thoughts on 4 OHL players so far into this young season.
Thanks for the report man. Really appreciate it. I have a friend who has been really high on Nurse for a long time now. While I'd love a draft pick that's too high to pick Nurse at, he'd be a fantastic consolation prize

Just stop rising already.