View Single Post
Old
11-18-2012, 09:42 PM
pdd

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
I don't put much stock into Stevens's lack of a Norris. Stevens played in one of the most competitive era for defensemen ever. Bourque/Coffey/Leetch/MacInnis/Chelios. He was top-10 in Norris voting eleven times, compared to Pronger's seven. The '94 Norris voting between Stevens and Bourque was one of the closest ever.

I certainly wouldn't put Pronger over Brad Park, Slava Fetisov, or Mark Howe just because he has a Norris and they don't.

A Hart Trophy, yeah I'll give Pronger that. But Stevens has a Conn Smythe. So whatever.

Stevens had a higher offensive peak, a higher defensive peak, a better playoff resume (capped off with a Smythe), more post-season All-Star selections (five, Pronger has four), and captained three championship teams.
Stevens having a better playoff resume as an individual is arguable. Pronger has had some amazing playoff runs.

Also, Pronger was comparable defensively to Stevens or at worst only a shade behind during Stevens' defensive peak. And while this was happening, Pronger was also performing offensively at a level that compares well to Stevens' offensive peak. The fact that Pronger did this simultaneously, and for an extended period, shows that he was the better player.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote