View Single Post
Old
11-18-2012, 10:35 PM
quoipourquoi
Goaltender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiessan71 View Post
The argument used to be that Lidstrom's offense was the best anyone's could be in today's PP oriented league. That it was no longer possible for a D-man to be successful at even strength offensively like Leetch or Bourque or Coffey was.

Enter stage left...Erik Karlsson, who put up 35% more even strength points last year than Lidstrom did in his best year.
Proving that it's not that it wasn't possible, just that there weren't any D-men playing that were capable of doing it in the league any more.
Bingo. Though I do think Lidstrom could have produced more at even-strength at the sacrifice of his defensive play. He wasn't as good at finding the balance as Bourque though (see the 1996 Western Conference Finals - and if you don't have it on VHS like me, I know it's on NHL Vault now). Thankfully for him, he wasn't on a team that required him to take as many risks.

I'm not going to get into the whole Lidstrom thing much more than that anymore. I know how each poster on here feels about him, but I've watched way too many Detroit Red Wings game to buy into the perception that Lidstrom is a top-ten skater, the best European player, or even simply as good as Ray Bourque. He's in the Sakic/Brodeur range - not the Bourque/Roy range.

quoipourquoi is offline   Reply With Quote